Whether you’re a business owner or a consumer, you’re impacted by the supply chain. Every industry has felt the effects over the last three years, from shifts in order demand and labor shortages to the inability to source raw materials and significant price increases. And as we enter the post-pandemic era, suppliers and their customers are still working to adjust to the “new normal.”
When supply disruptions occur, seeking alternative sources for the products you need can be tempting. But an attempt to stay productive may lead to grey market substitutes, opening your business (and potentially your customers) up to significant risks. Don’t take a chance; choose UL Listed products from a UL508A listed panel shop like OSCO Controls!
What Is UL508A?
UL Solutions (formerly Underwriters Laboratories) has spent over 125 years setting industry-based safety standards that minimize hazards that can affect life and property. UL508A is their standard developed specifically for constructing Industrial Control Panels (ICPs).
This standard covers multiple aspects of the control panel fabrication process, including wiring methods, motor controllers, circuit ratings, fuses, enclosures, and component requirements. And compliance with these standards ensures that control panels have been tested and verified to meet the safety requirements for electrical equipment installed in industrial environments.
Why Are UL508A-Listed Panels So Important?
Using UL508A listed control panels provides multiple benefits. Let’s review some of the reasons why you should insist on panels with this gold-standard certification.
- Safety: Using science to promote safety is at the core of the UL Solutions mission. The UL508A standard ensures that control panels are manufactured following the specific requirements. The goal is to reduce the risk of accidents, fires, malfunctions, and other hazards, ensuring the safety of your employees, facilities, and customers.
- Regulatory Compliance: Many industries must use UL508A listed products to satisfy regulatory compliance requirements. Sourcing their panels from a UL listed panel shop gives them the peace of mind that they won’t have to contend with legal issues or penalties due to non-compliance.
- Quality Control: The UL certification process is thorough and requires ongoing compliance to maintain. This delivers an additional level of quality control and assurance; you can be confident that you’re receiving a product that has been verified as suitable for use.
- Integration: Since UL508A dictates a prescribed set of specifications, integrating components and other equipment is a more straightforward process. This can be especially advantageous when replacement parts are in limited supply.
- Troubleshooting and Maintenance: When it’s time for routine maintenance, or if problems arise, components that use the UL508A standardized framework are far easier to troubleshoot and repair, saving you time and money.
- Reputation and Trust: The UL508A certification creates trust and dependability, demonstrating to businesses that the panel shop is competent and dedicated to producing high-quality, high-performing, and safe control panels. This can significantly reduce the risks associated with buying from off-market or uncertified sources, particularly during times of scarcity.
OSCO Controls: Exceeding The Standard
The OSCO team is leading and innovating as technology continues to drive the need for more sophisticated controls. Our commitment to the control industry fuels our passion for not only meeting UL508A standards but exceeding them. We work closely with our clients to ensure we have a firm grasp of their requirements, goals, and environment before the design process begins. Using this approach positions OSCO to exceed customer expectations every time.
We’ve been serving clients for over thirty years, and we know there’s no substitute for promoting safety, reliability, and quality across your operation and to your customers. To learn how OSCO Controls can help your business mitigate the operational risks you may be facing, contact us for a free quote today!